Some of the apps from Android’s latest version, the Android 5.0 Lollipop have surfaced to be installed on different devices who haven’t yet got the Lollipop flavor. We have already seen the Material Design Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard and the Messenger app and now, the Gmail app is also available to install on any device.
Update: The Gmail app is now available officially from Play Store. You can download the officially signed Gmail 5.0 with Material Design from this link.
Just like rest of the Android 5.0 lollipop apps, Gmail has also been updated with Material Design and a complete new interface but, the most amazing feature of Gmail app is the ability to handle multiple accounts which can be from any email service whether Yahoo, Outlook.com, AOL, Exchange and/or pop.
Gmail for Android 5.0 Lollipop can also be installed on any device but, you will need to have a rooted device to install it – if the Gmail app came pre-installed on your device.
Disclaimer: We will be modifying the system files on your Android device which might result in some kind of software or hardware-based damage or you might even end up bricking your device. So, proceed at your own risk otherwise, Teckfront, its team and/or partners won’t be responsible for any damage caused.
Follow the instructions below to install the Gmail app with Material Design on your device.
Removing the old Gmail app from your phone
If you already have a Gmail app installed on your device then, you might need to uninstall it by following the instructions below.
- First of all, open up your File Manager app which can access root files on your phone. Navigate to ‘System’ > ‘priv-app’ and look for the Gmail app and Delete it.
Note: You will need to have a rooted Android phone to access that folder.
- If you can’t find out Gmail in ‘priv-app’ folder then, go to ‘System’ > ‘app’. Here you will be able to find out the ‘Gmail.apk’ app. Delete it.
- Now, your Gmail must have been removed.
Let’s proceed to the installation of this new Gmail app.
Installing of Gmail from Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Download the Gmail and its requisite apps from this link.
- Install the three apk’s in the following order.
Tip: Follow the instructions in this article to know the method to install .apk files on your Android phone.
- Once all three apps have been installed, you will get the Gmail app in your app launcher. Launch it.
- Gmail will ask for the permission to access your Google account. Once the permission has been granted, you will be able to use the app. Gmail might take some time to sync all your emails from Gmail.
- Enjoy the Material Design Gmail app on your Android phone.
- That’s all!
You may visit our Android 5.0 Lollipop section for more apps and tips/Tricks about latest Android version.