Personnel management is the second corner stone of the Human Resource Management (HRM) which is typically concerned, in nature, to the humans, is about the humans and revolves around the human beings. The foremost assigned duty of a successful personnel manager is best and most appropriate utilization of the skills of the recruited employees and other people.
These personnel managers may be dealing with the people in any business, but their job starts with process of the recruitment and hiring of the most suitably qualified, properly trained and professional by nature people as employees of the company. After the recruitment, the polishing the skills and abilities of the new recruits by providing them orientation is also the part of the personnel manager job description. The ultimate goal of the personnel management is the satisfactory absorption and captivation of the new employees in their new organization.
Other than the recruitment and hiring the new employees, the following tasks are also treated as a part of the responsibilities of personnel manager:
- To measure and enhance the specific strengths and requirements of employees to increase the development of the employees so that the productivity can be increased.
- To design specifically prepared frequent, periodical employee performance appraisals and reviews in order to measure the performance of each and every individual employee.
- To design and suggest employees benefit programs, schemes and negotiate other such arrangements, such as, group & health insurance, retirement plans, pension schemes and other saving plans, with the other organizations and providers.
- To design and develop safety standards, practices and infrastructures in association with the CBAs and other departments.
- To negotiate for the collective bargaining agreements for the employees with labor and service union.
- To make the disciplinary rules and to implement the same to solve the disciplinary issues in the organization.
- To develop and provide a comprehensive structure of the guidance and counseling services to the employees.
- To prepare and suggest wages and salaries structure of the employees and managers to the top management.
- To prepare broader job description for the corporate employees.
- To assist employees in their individual efforts to develop their working abilities and skills so that they can be prepared and developed for the increased role and for the advanced jobs in their careers.
- To plan, design, supervise and manage human resource development programs for the employees.
- To keep themselves abreast of developments in the fields of personnel management.